Once you have spotted brown or pink discharge few days before a period, you might be excited to take up the test and confirm the good news. But do you know that taking a pregnancy test too early can fetch you inappropriate results?
Yes, because implantation is not something that can be pin pointed accurately. Though implantation bleeding happens, it doesn’t mean that you can take the test right away.
If you are wondering when you can take a pregnancy test after spotting? Then the answer is: it may vary from person to person. For knowing the appropriate time, let’s first understand the process of implantation and the duration it takes. Here’s a simple explanation…
Implantation is one of the critical moments of fetus development. It happens in 3 stages:
- First the ovum attaches itself to the uterus lining.
- Then it implants itself into the endometrium (uterus lining), this can sometimes cause slight bleeding.
- Healing the lining affected by the implantation and final fixation of the fetus.
Usually, the implantation process starts on 6th day and completes on 12th day after fertilization. After successful implantation, fetus secrets bioactive substances and hormones (particularly, HCG). HCG is the hormone that is tracked for confirming a conception through a pregnancy test.
What is the Appropriate Time for Pregnancy Test after Implantation?
Usually, many home pregnancy tests can provide accurate results after a missed period. But you can take a test even before a missed period if you know the exact implantation date. The accurate result depends on the two main factors:
- HCG level in the urine or blood.
- Sensitivity of the test.
If you are taking a blood test then, the HCG content in the blood after 4 – 5 days of implantation is 25mIU/ml. If you are taking a urine test, it takes another 1 – 2 days (i.e., 6 – 7 days after implantation) for HCG to reach the 25mIU/ml in the urine. A urine pregnancy test should be taken in the morning with first urine sample as it contains high HCG levels.
During the first 8 weeks of pregnancy, hCG levels double up every 2 days (on average). So, if you got a negative pregnancy test initially then it is recommended take another test after 4 days to let the hCG go up and increase the accuracy.
A negative pregnancy test after 10 days of a missed period states that conception is unlikely.
Note: You have to be careful while selecting a pregnancy kit in the drug store. If the label on the kit mentions – 20 mIU/ml sensitivity then it is suitable for detecting early pregnancy 4 days after implantation. If the test label says 40 mIU/ml sensitivity then you cannot take the test until 7 – 9 day after the implantation bleeding.
Does a Pregnancy test provide Reliable Results?
In some cases, pregnancy test results become unreliable. Below are the cases…
- You have taken the test too early when the hCG has not reached its minimum mark
- In cases of ectopic pregnancy, hCG levels rise very slow.
- A threatened miscarriage also reduces the hCG levels.
- Laboratory error.
- High content of lipids in the body.
- Destruction of blood cells (hemolysis).
- Tumor that produces chorionic gonadotropin.
A Negative Pregnancy Test: Can I still be Pregnant?
Once you have seen a slight bleeding, you might be excited about being pregnant. Seeing a negative pregnancy test, you might be devastated. There are two reasons, you may not receive positive pregnancy test even after spotting.
- You may not waited long enough before taking a pregnancy test. Though some women can get positive results before missed period but it’s not the same with every woman. If your period hasn’t arrived and still early, then wait for few days and take a pregnancy test again.
- Another reason for a negative pregnancy test can be lack of pregnancy. Some women might have got pregnant and experienced early or undetectable miscarriage immediately after implantation. Or else they were never pregnant and bleeding can be just left over blood in the uterus that didn’t shed from the last menstrual cycle.
Other symptoms of Confirming a Positive Pregnancy Test after Implantation Bleeding:
Even though you have got a positive result after taking a pregnancy test, there are some symptoms you can experience in the initial weeks of pregnancy.
- Increased fatigue.
- Sore and swollen breasts.
- Frequent urination.
- Pigmentation of the skin particularly nipples, linea nigra (a black line along the belly).
- Missed period.
However, a checkup with gynecologist is important to confirm the pregnancy. The doctor might take an endovaginal ultrasonography to look at the ovum. Fetal heartbeat can be recorded unmistakably from 6th week of pregnancy.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
1. If I have implantation bleeding will a pregnancy test be positive?
As pregnancy is not same in everyone, the test result depends on the several factors like the hCG hormone presence in the urine (if you are pregnant), and day you have taken the test.
If you take the pregnancy test too early then you may get a negative result. Approximately 65.1% of pregnancy tests taken after 8 days after ovulation were negative. So, it is better to wait until you miss your period or for at least 10 days after ovulation.
Once the implantation is successfully completed, the fetus starts secreting the hCG hormone into the blood. From these, it reaches into the urine. So it at least takes 7 – 8 days after implantation to check hCG levels in the urine.
And moreover, the hCG levels are high only in the first urine sample of the day. As it will get accumulated in the bladder overnight. If you test after drinking plenty of water then the urine may contain undetectable hCG trace amounts.
2. How long after implantation does hcg rise?
After 3 – 4 days of implantation, the hCG hormone reaches into the blood. And it takes at least 7 – 8 days for hCG levels to reach into urine.
3. How long after implantation can i test with first response?
You can test 8 – 10 days after implantation. If you got a negative result then wait for another 4 days and take a test again. Sometimes, hCG levels rise very slowly.
4. 2 weeks after implantation bleeding negative pregnancy test?
Sometimes, hCG levels rise very slowly so wait for few days more and take a test again. If you still get a negative test even after 10 days of a missed period then pregnancy is unlikely. Consult a gynecologist to understand the problem.
Even though home pregnancy test after implantation bleeding is positive, it is always recommended to consult a gynecologist to confirm the same. If you have a got a negative pregnancy test don’t worry either take a test again after few days or reach out a doctor.
Still have queries or concerns then write to us in the comments section below. We will reply as soon as possible to clarify.